To make solar energy more accessible to members, Newberry Electric Cooperative...
Newberry Electric Cooperative was formed in 1940 by the citizens of Newberry County who wanted electricity in the rural areas just as city residents enjoyed.
The cooperative occupied a small office in downtown Newberry until 1952 when the board of trustees purchased 20 acres just outside of city limits on Wilson Road. The co-op built its first office building and maintenance shed in 1953 that was approximately 10,000 square feet. The office building was remodeled and expanded in 1982. In 1999, the board of trustees decided to start construction of a new headquarters facility on the existing property. The new facility included a substation, pole storage area, covered truck shed, fuel pumps, warehouse space and new office building. Customers were welcomed in to the new 20,000 square foot office building in November, 2005.
Our mission for the past 74 years and into the future is to provide our member-owners dependable and reliable electric service in the most courteous manner while maintaining competitive rates.